Updating our means of transportation is crucial for keeping a thriving community. The East Grand Avenue construction project starts Mid-April and will finish later this year. See more information from the city below.
East Grand Ave is proposed for construction in 2019 after years of planning and preparation.
The City had been working on plans to revitalize the downtown since 2009, and work started with the West Grand Ave reconstruction project in 2011 and reconstruction of the 8th St S and East Grand Ave intersection in 2017. Funding became available through the State Transportation Program to fund reconstruction of East Grand Ave in 2015 and construction plans have been in development since that time. The work will include new pavement, sidewalk, curb & gutter, landscaping, and underground utilities.
East Grand Avenue (3rd St to 8th St)
- Due to weather forecasts for later this week, the construction start date was moved to April 15th at 8 AM. The first phase of construction on East Grand Ave will be from 2nd
St to Lincoln Street / East Jackson Street intersection.
- A Public Information Meeting was held Tuesday, April 2 from 4:30 – 5:30 PM at City Hall Council Chambers, 444 W Grand Ave, Wisconsin Rapids.
- Discussion at the meeting primarily included construction scheduling and access to businesses. Other discussion included sewer & water outages during construction.
- The latest construction schedules will be posted on the city’s website.
- Property owners should not experience sewer interruptions during the project.
- Water Service interruptions are being discussed with the water utility and more information will be provided on the next update.
- A Preconstruction Meeting was held at the WI DOT office on Monday, April 8th at 10:00 am.
- City staff has made contact with the Post Office about relocating the mailboxes along 4th St and that modification is pending. In addition, the City will be converting 4th St from a one-way to the two-way street as soon as the roadway is closed.
1st week of Construction – April 15th to 19th
- Rent-A-Flash scheduled to close East Grand Ave from 2ND St to Lincoln Street / East Jackson Street intersection on Tuesday
- Central State Sawing to complete saw cuts Tuesday
- Antigo Construction to break concrete pavement starting Tuesday
- Gerke Excavating to start Stage 1 removals Tuesday
- Smith Restoration to install initial erosion control items Tuesday
- City of Wisconsin Rapids scheduled to start water and sanitary sewer replacements Thursday
For more project information please visit http://bit.ly/EGrand
Contact Information: The City has set up an email address specific to this project at EGrand@WIRapids.org
Project Representative: Blake Elsinger, Quest Civil Engineers – 715-572-3666
City Engineer: Joe Eichsteadt, 715-421-8251
Director of Public Works: Joe Terry, 715-421-8255
All information is provided by the City of Wisconsin Rapids please visit the website for full details regarding updates and questions.